Most of us don’t pay heed to mattress height when we go shopping for a mattress. Some think thicker is better, but that’s not necessarily the case. Mattress heights range from 6” to 16”.
What do you look for when you buy a mattress?
- Comfort, support, and feel
- Material and construction
The height often goes ignored and overlooked. For now, let’s talk about mattress thickness, so we can understand why people prefer thickness over height and how we need to change that mindset.
Mattresses are thin as 6” and as thick as 16”. You can find a design that suits your individual needs. Thin mattresses are firmer and keep your back straight. Thick mattresses are plush and soft and conform to your body’s curvature to reduce pressure on joints.
Thicker mattresses aren’t always comfortable. How thick the mattress should be depends on your body type and sleep position. The more you weight, the thicker the mattress should be. This will prevent the mattress from compressing and sagging.
You also have to consider the mattress’s material and design, as that also contributes to how comfortable and durable it is. Don’t look at just thickness alone when buying a mattress, but also look at material and design and most importantly, its height with it.
Different Mattress Heights
Here we’ve compiled the various mattress heights:
1. Low-Profile Mattress
- Height: 2” to 5”
- Availability: Foldable mattresses and foam mattresses.
- Features: Suitable for floor-level beds and bunk beds, works well with high foundations with storage drawers, and not suitable for people on the heavier side.
2. Thin Mattress
- Height: 5” to 8”
- Availability: Kids beds and cribs and foam mattress and sometimes in box spring beds.
- Features: Suitable for low-slung bed frame, toddlers, newborns, and lightweight adults and not suitable for the guest bedroom.
3. Standard Mattress
- Height: 8” to 12”
- Availability: Available in various materials such as foam, latex, and spring coil with various firmness levels.
- Features: Comparatively costly due to the mattress made up of multiple layers, you can use it with most bed frames, and suitable for different body types and sleep positions.
4. Medium to Thick Mattress
- Height: 12” to 20”
- Availability: Bought due to comfort, durability, and quality.
- Features: Multiple layers increase the inches for improved support and comfort, suitable with different kinds of frames, and you can place it on the floor.
5. Very Thick Mattress
- Height: 20” and more
- Availability: Rarely available.
- Features: Complements Tudor style themes for rooms, extremely costly, bed sheets and covers are difficult to find due to its deep construction.
The thicker the mattress is, the higher it will be. You’ll have to decide the height based on the thickness. You wouldn’t want to buy the thickest mattress just because you like its look as it may be wrong for you as it doesn’t support your body weight or sleeping position. The most common mattress height is 8” to 12”.
You can choose the perfect height based on the thickness, but don’t just consider the thickness. If you’re still confused, don’t be because Wolf Corporation is here to get rid of the confusion and help you find the right mattress with the right height and thickness according to your body type and sleeping position. Contact us today. Let’s get you your perfect mattress!